Since 1987, Jim Medall has developed tens of thousands of lots in communities from California to the Carolinas. During the thirteen years that he has managed Rhein Interest’s Carolina divisions, he has initiated and overseen the successful completion of over 40 projects, including several master- planned mixed-use residential communities. His projects have won many prestigious awards – including the National Association of Home Builder’s Gold Award for Best New Community in the United States, along with numerous other national and regional marketing awards, including Best New Community in Charlotte for The Palisades.
With projects ranging from small residential communities to large master planned neighborhoods that include a vast array of lifestyle amenities, Medall is known for environmentally sensitive land planning that includes working with the natural topography of the land, respecting the natural beauty of the landscape and weaving open space into each community design. He has pioneered the development of best practices for environmentally sensitive land development, and is considered both an innovator and industry leader. In 2008, Medall was named Charlotte’s Green Land Developer of the Year by The Charlotte Business Journal. In 2004, Medall was selected by The Charlotte Business Journal as one of the year’s “40 Under 40” most promising business leaders. In 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 Rhein Medall Communities was named Developer of the Year by the Charlotte Homebuilders Association.
Jim is also a board member of the Palisades Episcopal School (Founder), founder of the Rhein Medall Prize for Art, a past member of Board of Directors for MDA’s Muscle Team, REBIC and SPPACE Executive Committees and Pat McCrory for Governor Finance Committee. Jim graduated from the University of California, Berkeley (B.A. English), and he is married to Vicki, with three sons. In 2010, Jim finished the Ironman Arizona race (140.6 mile triathlon).
Download Jim's Resume
- Board of Directors for MDA’s Muscle Team
- Board of Directors for Palisades Episcopal School (Founder)
- Charlotte Business Journal 40 under 40 Business Leader
- REBIC and SPPACE Executive Committees
- Pat McCrory for Governor Finance Committee
- Graduate of the University of California, Berkeley (B.A. English)
- Developed 12 of the Top Ten Best Selling Communities in Charlotte since 1998
- Charlotte’s Developer of the Year 2005-2008
- Developer of Charlotte’s Community of the Year 2007, 2008 – The Palisades
- NAHB Best in Living Gold for Heydon Hall 2004
- Over 30 Gold Charlotte HBA MAME Awards since 2006
- NAHB Best Brochure in the US for The Palisades 2006
- U.S. Green Building Council Charlotte Region For Profit Developer of the Year Charlotte Region 2008
- Audubon International Gold designation
- U.S. Green Building Council Charlotte Region -Green For Profit Business Leader Finalist 2009
- National Arbor Day Foundation Building with Trees Award of Excellence for The Palisades 2007
- Pioneered Innovative Water Quality Protection Techniques for The Palisades